Hearing Tech + Test Services
Effective March 23rd, CHC staff in Fort Lauderdale will be working from home where they will be available to answer your questions and help address your needs. While we are not currently offering in-office services, we would be happy to set up an appointment for you in the April/May time frame. Please don’t hesitate to contact us for an appointment or any other issue you might be having.
The effects of hearing loss are complex. Hearing loss often causes or is clustered with medical, financial, physical and emotional complications, like anxiety and a sense of isolation. A communicative challenge such as hearing loss not only affects the person who is deaf or hard of hearing, but also all those with whom s/he interacts. Thus, CHC is a source of help for parents, siblings, friends, teachers, employers and employees of people who are deaf or hard of hearing.
Run by licensed audiologists, CHC’s Audiology Department offers a comprehensive, interdisciplinary approach through its specialized clinical and support services for children and adults:
- Hearing testing by licensed audiologists is available by appointment at our state-of-the-art facility located at 2900 West Cypress Creek Road in Fort Lauderdale, Florida.
- Hearing aid evaluation, dispensing, maintenance and repair – we dispense over 250 hearing aids yearly, including the latest in programmable and digital technology. There are approximately 20 visits during our Wednesday walk-in hours (9:00am-12:00pm and 1-3:00pm) by people requiring earmold fittings, hearing aid repairs, loaner aids, or for consultations.
- Assistive devices counseling – while hearing aids are extremely useful, sometimes the hearing aid alone will not provide sufficient help. To help with more challenging listening situations, CHC provides counseling on various assitive devices.
- Cochlear Implant Support Group – provides specialized information and support for successful adaptation to cochlear implants, which is a surgical breakthrough that restores hearing sensation to people who are profoundly deaf and cannot benefit adequately from amplification. Individuals who receive their cochlear implant from many different cochlear implant centers attend the group.
- Free onsite hearing screenings held at the Center every Thursday from 9:00am-12:00pm and 1:00pm-4:00pm.
Funding for special programs provided through grants by Broward County Human Services Division http://www.broward.org/humanservices