Teletherapy program brings the experts to you!
Invitation for families with a child 0-3 with hearing loss
Apply now to participate in the Center for Hearing and Communication’s (CHC) acclaimed speech and language program for children who are deaf or hard of hearing. Our team of pediatric specialists can help your child learn to listen and speak through teletherapy sessions in the convenience of your own home.
Participants in this groundbreaking program will benefit from HIPAA-compliant teleintervention encompassing:
- Listening and spoken language therapy
- Family coaching to facilitate spoken language skills
Hear with CHC is a programming innovation that gives families access to CHC’s renowned clinical staff through live interactive video conferencing sessions, coaching and comprehensive assessments and monitoring. CHC’s unmatched clinical expertise and family-centered approach ensure each child with hearing loss achieves his or her speech, listening and language potential.
The Hear with CHC program optimizes parental involvement during the child’s critical language learning period of 0 to 3 years of age. Families and children will receive the same high-quality LSL services and best practices provided to CHC’s onsite clients.
Hear with CHC was developed to accommodate the needs of families whose location and/or personal circumstances preclude attending a center-based program.
Families participating in Hear with CHC will receive the following support, guidance and services from CHC’s professional staff:
- Diagnostic assessment and instruction in the use of the video conferencing equipment
- Weekly family-centered LSL services via live interactive video-conferencing sessions with a CHC speech-language pathologist
- Parental coaching in the LSL method for the purpose of facilitating the development of functional listening skills to support the acquisition of effective and efficient oral communication skills
- Close monitoring of your child’s progress through standardized assessments
- Counseling and support for the parents as needed throughout the journey
Families selected to participate in Hear with CHC must meet the following guidelines:
- Has chosen Listening and Spoken Language (LSL) as their child’s primary form of communication
- Is unable to access center-based services due to limited LSL resources in the immediate area or some other life challenge such as dual working family, single parent, health issues or inflexible schedule
- Has a child between the ages of 0 and 3 with hearing loss
Prospective families will be asked to participate in a phone screening interview to assess if they qualify and are a good fit for the program.
Additional program requirements
Families chosen to participate in Hear with CHC must demonstrate a commitment to the program’s success by fulfilling these additional requirements:
- Have one or more adult coaches who are proficient in English and able to consistently serve as the child’s coach(es) for the duration of the program
- Participate in at-home weekly video-conferencing sessions and commit to following the assignment and practice requirements in between sessions
- Have access to a computer, laptop or tablet with internet connection and a webcam (equipment loaners may be available)
Hear with CHC staff
The following professionals, highly experienced in Listening and Spoken Language (LSL) intervention, will be responsible for providing comprehensive care for the families participating in Hear with CHC:
Eizabeth A. Ying, MA, CCC-SLP
Speech-language pathologist Elizabeth Ying has a 40-year career of providing aural habilitation and rehabilitation services for children and adults with varying degrees of hearing loss, She serves as Director of Hear with CHC as well as Co-Director of CHC’s Shelley and Steven Einhorn Audiology and Communication Centers. Contact Liz at (917) 305-7830 or Eying@CHChearing.org.
Dana N. Selznick, M.A., M.Ed.
Dana Selznick is an education specialist dedicated to helping your child with hearing loss get the support and accommodations needed to thrive academically and reach their true potential. An invaluable source of information and guidance, Dana is often the first point of contact for parents of a baby with hearing loss. Contact Dana at (917) 305=7855 or Dselznick@CHChearing.org.
Camille Mihalik, MA, CCC-SLP
Camille Mihalik is a speech-language pathologist with extensive experience working individually and in groups with children who are deaf and hard of hearing. She is passionate in her approach to aural habilitation, which includes working collaboratively with parents in the Listening and Spoken Language method.
Anita Stein-Meyers, AuD, CCC-A
Audiologist Anita Stein-Meyers is the Assistant Director of CHC’s Shelley and Steven Einhorn Audiology Center and has been a member of CHC’s team of audiologists since 1986. Dr. Stein-Meyers’ area of expertise is the comprehensive audiological evaluation and amplification fitting of infants and young children.
Learn more and apply
If you think your child could benefit from this innovative LSL intervention program, please contact Director, Liz Ying, at (917) 305-7830 or Eying@CHChearing.org or Coordinator, Dana Selznick, at (917) 305-7855 or Dselznick@CHChearing.org to learn more and apply.
We also welcome referrals from health care professionals, educators and government agencies.
Hear with CHC is made possible through a generous grant from the Oberkotter Foundation.